History of the Library

1899 – Cornerstone for library building on present site laid by Governor Theodore Roosevelt.
1901 – Oyster Bay Free Circulating Library is dedicated.
1938 – East Norwich Public Library founded.
1949 – Oyster Bay Library remodeled in memory of General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., killed in WWII.
1967 – State Education Dept. issues Charter to Oyster Bay – East Norwich Public Library.
1974 – Bishop House purchased.
1975 – Bishop House renovation completed.
1981 – Addition of Non-Fiction area.
1984 – Community Room added.
1989 – Voters approve bond for renovation and expansion project.
1991 – Contracts are signed and construction begins.
1993 – Project substantially completed, with all public and staff areas available for use.
1994 – Final details of project completed.


For more information on the history of the Oyster Bay – East Norwich  Public Library
Hammond, John.  “Village Views: the Peoples Reading Room.”   Oyster Bay Guardian.  January 9, 1998: 5.

Hammond, John.  “Village Views: the Oyster Bay Free Library  Formed.”  Oyster Bay Guardian.  January 16, 1998: 5.

Hammond, John.  “Village Views:  the Library Cornerstone.”   Oyster Bay Guardian.  January 23, 1998: 3, 5.

McPherson, Kenneth F.  Survey for the Oyster Bay – East  Norwich Library.